Saturday, August 26, 2006

An eventful update

Well, I didn't go even the first week without drama! On Thursday I went for a run after class and I was going to turn left by St. Mary's, but there were car barriers in the way, so I tried to jump over them. I made it over, but I clipped my knee on the top of the guardrail and had to get stitches. I happened to land on my feet, so my knee was the only thing that was injured. Luckily, there were a lot of other people running, so one of them called campus security from an emergency call box nearby. They came out in about 2 minutes and bandaged me up, and told me I needed stitches (I knew that pretty much as soon as it happened!) so they called an ambulance and took me to St. Joseph's hospital in South Bend. Everyone was really nice, although I've decided I could never be a nurse. Man, that's a rough job, dealing with people who are in pain and aren't quite with it again and again and again. More power to them. Anyway, after a while in the hospital I was stitched up-I needed 6 stitches- and campus security brought me back to the dorm. The whole day it didn't hurt that much. I don't know if I was in shock or just cut some nerves, but I felt uncomfortable, but not in a painful sort of way; it just ached. Then of course I got a local anesthetic for the stitches which lasted for the rest of the day, so that was great! By the time I got out of the hospital, I was mostly just hungry and kinda tired.
Mara kindly walked slowly with me as a hobbled to the dining hall, thank goodness for her!

They hadn't given me any crutches or painkillers though, so that night after the anesthetic wore off I started suffering. I couldn't sleep for a lot of the night, and then swelling set in so I had a pretty hard time walking. Ashley Kelly walked me to my morning class, and I got some ice that I used during class in Bond. I have never been so glad to live so close to Bond and the dining hall in my life! As I went through the day and the Aleve started working I started to feel a lot better, and I got a break from studio to apply ice again. This morning I could walk twice as fast and bend my knee about twice as far, and there's almost no pain. It's great!

Otherwise, I have a couple of assignment to start- one for structures and 2 photoshop projects for studio and computers. I don't think they'll be bad, I just need to motivate myself to go ahead and do it! Hopefully I'll get pictures up soon- I would like to have one of my room and one featuring my knee, since that's the main news right now! (Sorry, anyone squeamish out there!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you have a lot of Aleve. Glad everyone is being so thoughtful.

Going to call tomorrow?

Christie left for Steubenville today. Classes for me start Monday - both at CUP and CCBC.

Take care of yourself. Let me know when your packages come.
Love,
Mom

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home