Tuesday, May 30, 2006

It's about time!

Well, I guess this is my first official post since being back in the States- that seems absolutely egregious to write, but I didn't feel like I had anything new to say. I tried to update once before about my work situation, but wherever I was at the time (I have no clue where that was now!) it wouldn't publish or save my several paragraphs long update. I took that as a sign!

I guess I should summarize thus far- mostly about jobs because that's where most of my drama occurred. I applied last year to work at an architecture firm in Old Ellicott City, but they weren't hiring then and wanted me to know CAD. Over the last summer I took a class in CAD so I would know it by the time this summer came around, and lo and behold I got a call from this company during my spring break! I was in France, so I actually had to stand around in a payphone and return a call to the person in this firm back in the States. A good omen? I thought so! They told me to call them back when I was out of school and back in the States, which I did. Somehow, though, when they put me through to the director of hiring (and I'm condensing here, because that was really prefaced by about a week straight of "unavailable" phone calls)he said that my name had never crossed his desk. After about another week of trying squeeze an answer out of him, he finally told me they weren't hiring. So that was about 2 weeks of unemployment for my summer, and two weeks that I could have used to get in touch with other firms. As it was, I contacted a few other places, but not hearing anything back decided to talk to a friend of the family named Sarah Ward, who runs her own distance learning/learning evaluation business-Alter, Inc. - consulting for other firms. So hopefully I'm getting an introduction into running a small business this way! It's a good job so far. She runs the business out of her house in Falls Church, VA, and I live with her on the weekdays; so I've seen a lot of the inside of the house! She's definitely a strange combination of a go-getter and a procrastinator, which I realize sounds completely contradictory, but means that she gets a lot of stuff done, just not always at the deadline! Hopefully I'll be able to post a picture and give you an idea of my new surroundings in Virginia!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home