Saturday, April 01, 2006

Happy Birthday Sarah- and other arkie news

Sarah Cannon just had her birthday today and so she decided to have a birthday brunch- where she cooked for about 20 people who RSVPd (we tried to convince her that that was backwards and we should do the cooking, but she likes it so she insisted). It was amazing- plates of french toast, chocoate dipped strawberries, mousse balls, pineapple, sliced fruits, pancakes, walnut rolls, chocolate fondue... yum! I ate my little heart out, but I had to skip out on the chocolate stuff because of lent.
We were sitting around the kitchen the other night and talking about Eric (kid who cracked his head in Naples) and apparently he was walking around the other day. Lots of people have gone and seen him which seems to really be helping and they hope to move him back to Rome soon, although still in a hospital. His mom left and went back to the states to work, but his dad is still there. Apparently when he first arrived though they only gave him a 30-40% chance of survival. Our teachers didn't tell us that- and I can't decide if I wish they had told us that or not. We probably would have refused to go on with the trip if we had known that, but if things had fallen the 60% way we would have been so devestated. That was pretty gutsy of the profs...
Initially they weren't expecting him to recover fully if he survived, but I think now they are anticipating a full recovery- pretty amazing.
Two other arkies had to leave this week because their grandparents died- Danielle and Steve. Any prayers would be great.
Also this week- the one year anniversary mass of Pope John Paul II. I might be able to go, although it's during studio, so I'll have to talk to my professor. I think that would be pretty neat though- it's pretty big news, especially over here. I've have to pull out my good church behavior though- the other day I was sneaking around the church close to the Lunetta, Sant Andrea delle Valle, and snuck through 2 chapels and a couple of side doors up an old spiral staircase because they were open- and I ended up in the choir loft! It was really cool because it was so much closer to the ceiling and the paintings up there looked so much closer and more detailed. I really wish I had had a camera on me, but I'll just have to remember it instead I guess. It reminded me of last year when Mara and I snuck up to the roof of Galvin at Notre Dame. Next stop when I get back- the bell tower of the Basilica!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating. I like reading about what's happening in your life. Btw, the jpII Mass is big news over here as well!
Colleen is taking her SAT this morning. Apparently, she overslept and so did Dad. they got there just in a nick of time.
Also, I mailed your package on Thursday - should take 5-7 business days. Hopefully you'll get it by the end of the coming week. Do not open until Easter!!!!
Much love,
Mom

11:46 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

haha ok! Tell Mommom that I got her card too and thanks! Hopefully I can finish this phase of the project early and paint some postcards to send out to you all. Tell Colleen good luck on the SATs! I have such fond memories of driving over to Centennial very early and trying to park the gigantic white van before taking a riduculously long test...

4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home