Friday, April 14, 2006

Holy Thursday

I went to the Holy Thursday mass last night at St. John Lateran, celebrated by the Pope, with a couple of ND kids, and I'm not going to lie, it was somewhat disappointing. It was definitely not a mass intended for huge crowds of people; St. Peter's does that much better. So we ended up standing for many hours along the center aisle so we could see the pope process in and out, but he copped out and entered and left through the side entrance! My highlights instead (I hope this isn't sacriligious!) were a woman who looked like I pictured Rita Skeeter (from Harry Potter) and a random man, about 60, who were clustered along the wall. The woman had a veil on and before mass was talking on a cellphone (using just an earpiece, so it looked like she was blabbing to the air) and simultaneously looking like she was praying the rosary. After mass started she climbed the lower rung of the railings and would periodically wave her handkerchief veil thing while leaning periously over the railing, but it was just the Rita Skeeter image that made it all perfect. She also at one point kissed the envelope provided for the collection, leaving a lipstick print on it, and waved it at the swiss guard! The other man was probably more of my favorite though. He sang everything, in the same note (I don't know how), and started every song 5 seconds early so everyone would hear 'ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' before EVERY SINGLE song or chant. He also sang along with the greek refrains, although I don't think he knew a word of greek (it didn't sound like it). I didn't feel too bad trying so hard not to laugh aloud at him though because the nuns who were next to him were dying of laughter and trying so hard not to be too overt about it!

I finished this phase of my project, so now all I have left is painting, and I think we have about a week to do that, so I'm excited. The other studios are pretty far behind ours, so we should be in really good shape for the review and finals- much better than 2/3 of our class. I'm pretty excited about that, and hopefully I'll have some (gasp!) free time to go see a couple of museums that I want to check out.

Elise comes in tonight, so no work will be getting done this weekend (and also probably no updating). So, HAPPY EASTER!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home